Water may look safe, but it can be dangerous. Our Community Ambassadors are sharing information on water safety especially with the warm weather we have had and reminding others that you may swim well in a warm indoor pool, but that does not mean that you will be able to swim in cold water.
Baxter Community Ambassadors are running a poster competion so we look forward to seeing and publishing some of the entries.
The dangers of water include:
- it is very cold
- there may be hidden currents
- it can be difficult to get out (steep slimy banks)
- it can be deep
- there may be hidden rubbish, e.g. shopping trolleys, broken glass
- there are no lifeguards
- it is difficult to estimate depth
- it may be polluted and may make you ill